Explain Mathematical operations in MS-Excel
There will be times, when we want to perform basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication or division. To do so, we need to use the = sign and one of the arithmetic operators displayed in the table below.
|+ (Plus sign)||Addition||3+3|
|– ( Minus sign)||Substraction||3-1|
|* ( Astrisk )||Multiplication||3*3|
|/ ( Forward slash)||Division||3/3|
1. Open Microsoft Excel workbook.
2. Select the cell in which we want to see our mathematical result.
3. Type the = sign.
4. Type the arithmetic operation.
5. Press the Enter key on the keyboard.
6. The result of our mathematical operation will be displayed in the originally selected cell.
7. We can view and edit our mathematical operation from within the Formula Bar.
Use of filters in Excel worksheet
Filters in Spreadsheets : Filter is an easy way to turn the values in Excel Column specific filters based on the cell contents. Data filtering is a way of organizing spreadsheets data for ease of analysis. Often, spreadsheet filters are used to hide rows of data, that do not meet certain specified criteria.
For Example, if a group of students are gathering data on males and females of age 13-19, they might want to filter this data based on gender. In order to activate the data filtering function of Excel, we will use a set of commands included in the “Auto filters” menu.
To Turn on Auto filters :
1. In the sample spreadsheets, click on any of the empty cells just below the header row.
2. Choose data, filter and Autofilter from the pull-down menus.
3. Selection arrows will appear at the top of each column.
4. Here, we choose the gender. If we choose Male, then it will show all the records of males.
Once, can use an advanced filter to extract a list of unique items in the database. For Example, Get a list of customers from an order list, or compile a list of products sold.
Explain different types of spreadsheet
Types of Spreadsheet:
1. Paper Spreadsheet: The word ‘spreadsheet’ came from ‘spread’ in its sense of a newspaper or magazine item, that covers two facing pages extending across the center fold and treating the two pages as one large one.
2. Electronic Spreadsheet: It is used as a forecasting tool to project the impact of interest rate changes on a deposit or loan portfolio during future time periods and test various what-if hypotheses or interest rate scenario in each of those periods.
1. It is flexible.
2. It is an important part of budgeting, financial planning.
3. Online Spreadsheet : These are online applications that allow users to create a spreadsheet, have multiple persons edit it and share it with the world.
4. Web Based Spreadsheets : Web based spreadsheets incorporates all the features of traditional desktop applications. Some web based spreadsheets have multi user collaboration features, some offer real time updates from remote servers such as stock prices and currently executing rates.
5. Remote Spreadsheets : In these type of spreadsheets, whenever a reference is made to a cell or group of cells that are not coated within the current physical spreadsheet file, it is considered as “accessing a remote spreadsheet”.
Explain various types of command used in a Spreadsheet
Various Command used in Spreadsheet:
Copy Command: The copy command can be used to copy the contents of one cell or group of cells into another cell or group of cells. This feature is particularly used when the same formula structure is to be used in several cells.
Insert and Delete Command: An insert or delete command allows users to add or delete a column or a row anywhere in the spreadsheet.
Window Command: The screen can be split either vertically or horizontally using this command. Suppose there are some columns which are not appearing on the screen. So one can split the screen using window command.
Format, Save and Print Commands: There are various formatting commands which can be used to control the way the columns, rows and cells appear on the screen. The save command is used to store the spread sheet on a disk.
The print command is used to print the spreadsheet or part of it on paper.
Built in Functions : Instead of writing of a formula for sum (B6 + B7 + B8 + B9 + BIO) one can write @ SUM (B6..B10) in a particular cell. Other built in functions are :
AVG (Range), MAX(Range), MIN(Range) etc.